Private Gecko Eyes - Exclusive 4-Day Cruise from Saigon to Phnom Penh
Duration: 4 days Transportation: Bus/Car, Boat
Route: Saigon - Cai Be - Sa Dec - Cu Lao Gieng - Chau Doc/Phnom Penh
Languages: English Tiếng Việt (View map)
„Cruise the Mekong in style and luxury”
Did you always dream of exploring the Mekong in an individual way? The new Gecko Eyes houseboats will be perfect for you. The fleet consists of three beautiful vessels and the private houseboats are perfect for two people, made for tours on a high level — for couples and small families.
Based on the traditional An-Giang fishing boats we are offering you new luxurious houseboats for private and exclusive tours through the Mekong delta. The vessels, built by local craftsmen, are made of local woods decorated with elegant carvings for a special touch.
To provide your safety and well-being, our staff on board (captain, sailor, chef, tour guide) is at your constant disposition.
The guest area (40 sqm) has a luxurious cabin (double or twin occupancy) with a French balcony, air-con, a private bathroom, a panoramic lounge with French balconies and a sun deck at the bow. On request, the salon can be changed into an additional bedroom with two beds.
The staff area, with a well equipped kitchen, is at the back of the ship. This area is completely separated from the guest area by a lockable door to ensure your privacy.
Visit the famous floating market in Cai Rang with the Gecko Eyes, travel through small canals along orchards and floating villages up to the boarder to Cambodia or down to the port cities of Ha Tien or Rach Gia.
Due to its shallow draft, the Gecko Eyes is able to glide through small tributaries and canals of the Mekong delta. The sailing area is from My Tho and Cai Be, near Saigon, through the lovely colonial town of Sa Dec, along Can Tho with its famous floating market to Long Xuyen an Chau Doc near the Cambodian border. Basically the Gecko Eyes has the whole Mekong delta region at its disposal, as the ships are self-sufficient for several days.
There are always bikes on board for spontaneous trips on the river islands along the small canals.
For your safety and your well-being.
An electrical generator provides an on-board electricity supply of 220V and a battery pack ensures a quite night. Modern on-board waste-water treatment and solar hot water boilers reduce the environmental impact of our boats.
Modern safety equipment (heat and smoke detectors and fire fighting system) a total of six separate compartments and a regular emergency training of the staff ensures the safety of the guests.
Tour Price & Availability:
Details of the routes and tour activities are for reference only. Final confirmation will be sent upon booking.
PRICE: on request
This exclusive Mekong river tour on board the Gecko Eyes goes from Cai Be to Chau Doc and further to Phnom Penh via Can Tho any time on the Gecko Eyes house boat. Driving time from Saigon to Cai Be is approx. 2 hours. We are more than happy to organise your trip to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat too.
Day 1: Panorama river cruise
In the morning we pick you up at your hotel (district 1 and parts of district 3) in Saigon and take you to Cai Be. You board your comfortable wooden river cruise vessel around noon. After a refreshing welcome drink we show you our on-board facilities and your cosy cabin. As lunch is served, the boat starts cruising towards Sa Dec. Sit back and watch the fantastic scenery and the daily life of the Mekong people.
In the afternoon you can disembark for a guided leisurely stroll through a village and the surrounding fruit orchards or rice fields. Meet the friendly locals and taste the local produce and fruits.
Get back on board and enjoy a drink at the bar or relax on deck as the sun sets over the magnificent water landscape of the Mekong river. The cruise boat will anchor for the night. The day ends with a delicious on-board dinner. You stay overnight on board your floating hotel in the Mekong Delta.
Meals: L, D
Day 2: Life on the water and visiting the island Cu Lao Gieng
Wake up early in the morning and enjoy seeing the Mekong Delta coming to life. This morning we arrive in charming Sa Dec for a city tour. There you can see the busy and colorful local market, enjoy a coffee on the nice riverside promenade and visit a nearby flower village with orchards. The charming town still has a lot of colonial architecture, in particular the old market, the church and many old villas and trader’s houses. We visit one of them, a beautifully renovated traditional house of a Chinese trader’s family. This sumptuous building belonged to the main character of the novel „The Lover” and indeed to the lover of Marguerite Duras (see below).
Back on bord, we curise towards the Island of Cu Lao Gieng. Located between Chau Doc and Sa Dec on the small island of Cu Lao Gieng, the monastery here was once an important convent. It could accommodate more than 1,000 people and included an orphanage, a school, a hospice and a leprosy centre. Today, Cu Lao Gieng is mainly a retreat for retired nuns. The large building is completely cut off from villages and located in the middle of fields and green jungle. You will be very surprised to see such an architectural impressive monastery in the middle of nowhere. If you have time you should take the opportunity to visit the Catholic monastery which was built on the island in 1875 by French nuns of Saint Paul de Chartres.
In the late afternoon we return to the Gecko Eyes vessel and enjoy a sunset cruise with more fantastic photo opportunities from aboard.
Meals: B, L, D
Day 3: Cruise to Chau Doc
The boat starts cruising towards Chau Doc early in the morning. After breakfast on the top deck, you can visit a floating fish farm and take part in an excursion to a cham village.
The Mekong river cruise ends after a delicious lunch on board. You will be transferred to your hotel and you can relax or explore for the rest of the day.
Meals: B, L
Day 4: Across the border into Cambodia
We transfer to the pier where you embark the speed boat for an exciting ride to Phnom Penh, your starting point for discovering Cambodia and the famous temples of Angkor Wat.
The trip ends here. Please contact us if we can help you organise your tour to Angkor or any further trips. Of course we will also be happy to arrange your transfer back to Saigon.
- Wooden cabin with A/C and private bathroom.
- Hotel in Chau Doc (Victoria Hotel - superior room or Regular Hotel )
Standard: Regular standard hotel
Deluxe: Victoria Hotel
- Public speed boat from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh
- Transfer from the hotel in Chau Doc to the jetty for the public speed boat
- Meals as specified in the itinerary (B: Breakfasts, L: Lunch, D: Dinner)
- English speaking guide on board
- Side trips on sampans as mentioned in the itineraries
- Sightseeing as specified including entrance fees
What's Not Included:
- Transportation by A/C bus from hotel in Ho Chi Minh City to pier in Mekong
- Visa fee for Cambodia (you can get a visa for Cambodia at the border crossing where the speed boat stops for immigration; for this you need to bring 20 US$ and a passport photograph).
- Beverages, Travel insurance in tour
- Tips for tour guide, driver
- Expenditure of a personal nature, tips, such as souvenirs, laundry, emergency transfers & etc
- Others which are not mentioned above
Good to Know:
- Cruise itinerary and schedule are subject to change due to weather, tide levels and operating conditions.
- Special requests on food (diet or vegetarian) please inform us before departure.
- Optional Private Boat can be provided upon your request.
- A valid passport is required upon check-in on board. Children whose traveling documents are attached to parent’s passport must travel with the parent.
- If one person prefers to stay in a private cabin, the single supplement must be paid.
Free of charge for children under 6 years old is applicable for 1 (one) child sharing a cabin with 2 (two) adults.
*** For 03 cabins or less:
- More than 15 days before departure date: No cancellation charge.
- From 8 to 15 days: 50% of total tour price
- From 4 to 7 days: 75% of total tour price
- Within 72 hours – No Show: Full charge.
*** For 04 cabins or more:
- More than 45 days before departure date: No cancellation charge.
- From 32 to 45 days: 50% of total tour price
- From 16 to 31 days: 75% of total tour price
- Within 15 days – No Show: Full charge.
score from 0 review(s)
The guest reviews are submitted by our customers after their stay at Private Gecko Eyes - Exclusive 4-Day Cruise from Saigon to Phnom Penh